Wasteland 3 has now received $3M in funding! This is great news for the fans of the series who have been eagerly awaiting a sequel. The hugely popular Wasteland 2, originally achieved $2.9M in crowdfunding and earned an 87 on Metacritic. Do not fear as there is still time to back the campaign yourself here as there are still two weeks remaining (November 3, 2016). Wasteland 3 will be released simultaneously on Windows, macOS, Linux, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.
In Wasteland 3, inXile builds upon its award-winning franchise, beginning shortly after the end of Wasteland, with the player starting the game as the sole survivor of Team November, a Ranger squad dispatched to the icy Colorado wastes. Colorado is a land of buried secrets, lost technology, fearsome lunatics, and deadly factions, most of which have never heard of the Desert Rangers.
So what can you look forward to in this upcoming title? Well, it looks like there is going to be a whole wasteland full of great features coming.
- MULTI-PLAYER: Playable in single- and multiplayer experiences.
- COMBAT: Deep turn-based combat, evolving on Wasteland 2‘s strategic options and unique encounter design
- VEHICLES: By including vehicles, environmental dangers, and a revamped, more fluid action system, Wasteland 3 evolves from Wasteland 2‘s deep tactical turn-based combat and unique encounter design.
- GAMEPLAY: For the first time, players can play by themselves or with friends in a story-driven synchronous or asynchronous multiplayer experience. Choices open up mission opportunities, areas to explore, story arcs, and tons of other content.
- RANGER BASE: Your Ranger Base is a core part of the experience. As you help the local people and establish a reputation in Colorado, quests and narrative will force you to make decisions on how to lead.
- ENVIRONMENT: The game will be set in the savage lands of frozen Colorado, where survival is difficult and a happy outcome is never guaranteed. Players will face difficult moral choices and make sacrifices that will change the game world.
- STORYLINE: Wasteland 3 will feature a deep and engaging story utilising a newly-revamped dialogue tree system from the celebrated writers of Torment: Tides of Numenera.
I had never indulged in the series until Chris Bradford pointed me in its direction and have been a huge fan since. There are going to be a lot of fans out there eagerly awaiting this release and I think I will be joining them. Seeing the narrative and gameplay from Wasteland 2 and just how involved your choices get was something that really caught my eye and now with the addition of Multiplayer and vehicles, it is going to expand the series in a big way.